This is the time of year when the entire family flies out to the Oregon Coast to go crabbing. I am not able to go this year because my little guys are two young to make the trip. After years of trial and error the grandparents, who are kind enough to invite everyone on their yearly crabbing adventure, have observed that grandchildren younger than 5 really don't do well on a trip such as this one. It is a really fast trip. We fly in to Portland Friday, drive to the Lam Thong in Beaverton, and we gorge on Thai food. Then we pile into several vans and drive about an hour and a half to Tillamook and fall into bed. The next morning we get up at the crack of dawn and meet the family in the restaurant for a fast breakfast because we want to be out on the bay and have a nets in the water by 7:30 AM or whenever the tide is right (changes every year). We usually crab until the afternoon or when the tide comes in. Then we bring in the boats, count, clean and cook the crab and take it to the Troller restaurant where it will be prepared for our dinner feast. On the way back to the hotel we stop at the Tillamook cheese factory for ice cream and a tour. There is usually enough time for a shower before we get to head back to Garabaldi for dinner. The next morning we drive back to Portland and fly home. It is a jam packed weekend full of fun and always results in wonderful tales to tell. I can't wait until the family gets back tomorrow. I want to hear all about the trip. I find myself watching the clock and saying to myself, they have probably cleaned all the crab by now and are heading to the cheese factory for ice cream.
I really hate missing out on these family events. Here are picture from the last time I was able to go on the trip in 2006 Kaitlyn was 4 months old and she got to come along because nursing mommies can bring their babies.

Kaitlyn saying goodbye to Daddy and Grandpa.

This is Kaitlyn's cousin Lilly. We waited in the car for the Dads to come back in from crabbing.

The mommies stay at the dock and listen to the chatter of the crabbers on their CB radios.

The little boats leaving the docks and headed out to sea in search of the keepers.

Caleb using his alotted two minutes to get his snacks from the bait shop. Each group is allotted two minute increments to stock their boat with goodies. We have to go in groups because the bait store is two small to hold everyone at the same time.

I am pretty sure this was the year that Devin and Rachel got engaged a few weeks before the trip. So he got to come along.

Rachel being silly.

Here is a pic of all the boats getting geared up and ready to head out to sea. Every year we have a competition with the other boats to see who can get the most keepers. We usually name our team, I can't remember what clever name we used this year. Probably something very silly having to do with crabs.
5 comments:
We sure missed you guys. Things aren't the same without you.
Cheri-
I love to read your blog...you write so well. I really enjoy your vocabulary (I'm a nerd, I know, but I'm really being serious!)Anyway- I miss you and hope you're doing well! I'm glad we can keep in touch through our blogs!
We really missed you!! Never the same when you all are not there...I didn't go out because I had Tade, and they didn't catch a lot, just enough for dinner...but I had an ice cream cone for you! Love you all!
Hey Cheri, we applied for our passports by going to the local city hall/community center/court house. They had applications and gave us direction of things that we needed like birth certificates and fees. Hope that helps. loves:)
Wow! Such a cool and really unique adventure! You have an awesome family. I LOVE the Oregon Coast - it is so beautiful...I hope you can go next year!
Post a Comment